A Horse Lesson
(Sharon Meloy)

Sarah Webb

About a year ago I volunteered to work with kids who rode therapy horses. My job was to simply lead the horse around the ring while the child sat in the saddle. Now, I’m a good dog handler. I trained all the dogs in our family, entered little shows, taught them search and rescue stuff. I don’t know beans about horses, but I figured my knack with animals would make this horse naturally do exactly what I wanted. I found out this was wrong figuring. I tried to lead a horse around a ring that refused to be led around a ring. This went on for months, and my frustration level was pretty high. Everyone kept saying, “Don’t look at the horse. Just walk with confidence and the horse will follow.” Or, “Don’t pull on the reins, just hold them and lead.” They even gave me a stable full of different ponies, but they all reacted the same way. They just didn’t like me. Now, I gotta tell ya, I was heartbroken. Horses don’t like me? But I love horses! I just couldn’t accept the realization that I was out of my league. I wanted to be the horse whisperer therapy chick. It just wasn’t meant to be. It is what it is. Just like this morning’s dharma talk. Acceptance. It is what it is. One more time. Acceptance. It is what it is. At least I’ve got good horse sense.

About Sharon Meloy

No comments: