Fat Cat Stares at Tree
(Sharon Meloy)

Sarah Webb

It’s early in the morning. I just walked up a breath-stealing hill. I’m approaching the top and I see a portly but pretty gray and white cat. He is doing something that seems very uncatlike to me and so I stop. I am under a tree. The cat is on the ground facing the tree. His pink nose is only inches away from the bark. He is simply staring at the tree in front of him. Is he watching a bug? Waiting for the bark to grow? In time out? He has politely acknowledged me momentarily and then gone back to his business. I do believe this cat is a Zen cat. In my meditation group at the Zen Center, we face the wall to help diminish distraction. It does help, because if someone walks into the room late for instance, I watch them and who knows what I start thinking then. So this fat cat is setting an example for me. I’m huffing and puffing at the top of the hill and contemplating a quick sit on the ground to join this cat. It’s a bit of a lesson for me when I feel lazy about my practice. Just stop what you’re doing, stop and meditate, then continue on your way. Oh and you’ll be glad to know I didn’t really sit down then. No sense looking like the fool when half the time I already feel like one!

About Sharon Meloy

Sarah Webb

No comments: